Tuesday, October 19, 2021

A Gift from Mr Putin

 Dear Mr Russian Ambassador to the UK

A Gift From Mr Putin

Last night I had a dream. A package from Russia arrived which turned out to be a gift from Mr Putin. The package, which was a bit battered from its travels, contained 6, dusty old Chateau Lafite wine bottles with half used candles stuck into their necks. They reminded me of candle stick holders from a gothic Victorian film and would not look out of place in Miss Haversham’s house of decay. The accompanying note explained that Mr Putin enjoyed the Raspberry jam I sent to his ambassador and in return for my gift, though I might appreciate a means of lighting my house during this winters power cuts, due to Europe’s lack of gas.   
 
What a brilliant gift! It not only highlights Europe’s dependence on Russian gas, but the empty vintage wine bottles demonstrate what a rich and powerful man Mr Putin is, how he enjoys his great parties and what a contemptible  poor peasant I am, having no means to buy expensive wines and having to light my house with candles. After laughing at the irony of the world, I chucked the lot in the shed, suspecting that if I lit the candles they would give off novachock, or explode or some other deniable way of bringing about my demise,  which Mr Putin wanted for no other reason than to demonstrate he could do it.. However, all was not lost, as I did rip off the fine high value Russian stamps on the package for my collection.

What a wonderful dream, how I wish it was true. Mr Putin sending me a gift, (thus boosting my ego) and also living up to his reputation as the cunning and fiendish bad boy of Europe. How the UK press and media love to pump out the anti Russian stories  We in the West just love it. However could you tell me if Russia wants to play this role or does Mr Putin just want to stay in power (by what ever means), sell some gas, and have a normal relationship with the West? Well I don’t know, but I can’t believe the Russian police are so incompetent, or Russian agents so out of control, that murderers are never brought to trial or anyone can poisoning who ever they like without repercussions. I don’t believe Mr Putin would allow such anarchy in his Country. I also don't believe Mr Putin would be such a very bad sales man with "buy my gas or I will cut you off" tactics, especially when the world is talking about switching away from fossil fuels and seriously investing in renewables.

Did you see my letter to the Chinese Ambassador to the UK? I copied it to you (the Russian Ambassador to the UK), because I get the impression that in order to stay in power, Mr Putin is copying the way of the Chinese Communist Party ruthlessly stamps down on everyone and everything that could be judged as a threat to those in power. I explained that ultimately this will fail as they are always working against human nature. The same resulting failure applies to Russia, but even more so, as Russia has no Confucian culture which for 2000 years has drummed into the Chinese that they should be satisfied with their place in society and not challenge the wise rulers. The Russian people are not the Chinese, which probably explains why the Soviet Union collapsed and the Chinese Communist Party is still in power.

Going against human nature is a totally inefficient way to organise  a society. Not allowing people to express their differing views means a large expensive state organisation to suppress it with fear and force and a smaller pool of people to come up with good decisions. Not allowing individuals to use their talents to gain status and wealth is a waste and will make the country poorer in the long run. This is why I believe democracy and capitalism are the best systems for societies..

Does Mr Putin think he has come up with a better system of Government? If he is just playing the tyrant, I suggest he reads a few history books and reads what happened to them and their countries. In his actions, I see no long term strategy that will be of benefit to anyone, least of all Russia, a country which has such potential.


Yours

The Past is dead - face up to reality

 I’ve read a lot of history books, but whilst its been interesting to learn how people behaved and dealt with past problems, the study of hi...